Friday, March 24, 2006

A personal note from April


I am running for office because I believe that every child deserves a quality education. Public schools are one of the most enduring and vital institutions our government has ever established. They give every child, no matter what circumstances they were born into, a chance to create and live the American dream. We owe it to ourselves, our children, and our fellow citizens to make Hillsborough County public schools the envy of the state, the country, and the world. Every child deserves a high-quality education.

We need to graduate students who are ready for higher education on day one without needing remedial courses to catch up. We must be mindful that not every child is college bound. We must give them every opportunity to develop the skills they will need for a well-paying trade. Only then can Hillsborough County attract and keep businesses that pay high wages.

I believe we could begin to solve our teacher shortage by paying educators higher wages and giving them the tools they need to succeed. I believe that ALL teachers deserve the right to compete for bonuses based on an overall evaluation, not just students’ test scores. Only then can we keep quality teachers here to teach our next generation of students.

I believe that parents are absolutely vital to their childrens' education. Parents are their childrens first teachers, and when teachers and parents work together as a team there is no limit to what students can achieve. To make this possible I believe in removing barriers to parent participation and informing them of their childrens' progress. I also believe in alerting parents to issues before they turn into problems. Only then, through mutual trust, can we ensure that more parents are involved in their children’s education.

I believe in fiscal responsibility. With Hillsborough County’s rapid growth and mandate for classroom size reduction, we are facing a funding crisis. We need more money, but first we have to show that we are not wasting the money we have now. I believe we need to cut waste and duplication and look for ways to spend smarter instead of just spending more. Only when this community's taxpayers believe that their money will not be wasted will they agree to increase funding for their schools.

My decision to run for school board was not made without great consideration and input from my husband Brian and our sons Randy and Chase. My family and friends are behind me 100%. They are excited that the community will soon know what they already know…that I care and will make a difference.

I hope to be a refreshing alternative for students, teachers, parents, and taxpayers, and a catalyst for our schools; to help students be what we all know they can be. But I can’t do it alone. . .I need your support, and I am looking forward to meeting you on the campaign trail and hearing what you think is most important.

Sincerely,
April Griffin
Candidate for School Board – District 6 (At-large)

No comments: